The Bechyně Gate and Kotnov Tower
From July 2020, a new permanent exhibition of the Hussite Museum “Tábor, the Fortress of the Righteous and the Royal City” is prepared, which was created on the occasion of the 600th anniversary of the Hussite foundation of the town.
The Kotnov tower is a dominant monument to the castle, which was destroyed by fire in 1532, and a brewery was built on its remains between 1612 and 1613, which underwent structural modifications until the 1920s century. The castle “Hradiště” was founded as part of the castle system in the 2nd half of the 13th century during the reign of the king Přemysl Otakar II. According to the latest research, the castle boasted two cylindrical and two square towers, thus imitating the castle type. However, the towers hardly protruded from the perimeter of the wall and were thus weakened in their flanking ability from the beginning. The preserved tower was strengthened and adapted for artillery batteries during the Hussite period; the ventilation chimneys in the gun loopholes are interesting.
The 25-metre-high tower is now accessible as a lookout and has 155 steps leading up to it.
The only town gate still standing, called Bechyňská, is adjacent to the castle tower. Unlike the tower, the gate has been preserved in almost its original state from the High Gothic period.
Opening time and hours:
|May–September||Tue–Sun||9.00–17.00||Last tour of the exhibition at 16:30|
Virtual Tour (2020)
The exhibition is closed in winter, but we invite you to visit it virtually: